<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 10, 2003

An Extra Special Day
I just have to say right now that I love Rhode Island. Wanna know why??

Because tomorrow is Victory Day in Rhode Island, and I don't have to go to work. In fact, the office is closed. Ahhh...

I know what you're thinking: what is this Victory Day that you speak of??? And why don't I get it off??

Well, I'll tell you. Now gather around little children. It's time for a (brief) history lesson. :)

Victory Day was formerly known as V-J day or Victory Japan day and celebrates the Japanese surrender at the end of World War II. At one time, most of the country celebrated it in some way, but it was phased out as we got farther and farther away from 1945. Rhode Island is now the only state that still celebrates it as an official holiday.

It's good to work in Rhode Island sometimes. :)

P.S. For all you die-hard WWII researchers, there's also a V-J parade in Moosup, CT if you're ever in the area. :)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?